I finished the scrap yarn shawl knock off! I love how it turned out. It’s incredibly warm and cozy. I was so excited I took pictures when the house was covered in every toy from the play kitchen, trucks, and books. Please ignore my floor.
I will probably be making one of these for myself. When I do, I will be casting on 100 stitches instead of 110. I think shorter sleeves would suit me as my kids leave most surfaces in my house sticky and I don’t want to drag a sleeve through muck.
I had a lot of fun working with Mary-Claire to determine what she wanted and picking the color order. I loved creating the pattern and using my knitting skills to build a basic wrap on my own. It was very rewarding.
I’m still working on the scrap yarn shawl knock off. I’m on the last color, so I’ll be done before too long. I would have been finished before now, but the basement clean up is keeping my quite busy. I hope we will be done with it by the end of the week, and then it will be back to knitting.
I’ve made a lot of progress on the scrap yarn shawl knock off this week. It is flying off the needles. I only have two colors to go. If I put my mind to it I could finish it this week.
It was supposed to go from gray to pink to turmeric. I read my notes wrong and switched the colors. Mary-Claire said she didn’t mind the colors this way, so I am not tearing it back.
I love how this is turning out. It is so cozy, and I can see how it will add a nice bit of color to a dark wardrobe. I’m using a little over one skein per color. I’m considering making myself a wrap with the leftover yarn. I think I have some Wool of the Andes in my stash that would work with these colors. If I go with seven or eight colors instead of six I will have enough yarn without having to buy any.
Do you ever get so excited about a project you think you should make two?
I’ve been making lots of progress this week on the scrap yarn shawl knock off. After talking with Mary-Claire I’ve updated the dimensions to 43 inches X 32 inches. That means I cast on 121 stitches on size 15 needles. I’m working each stripe for 5 3/8 inches.
I’m already on the second color.
The row of stockinette in the midst of all of the garter stitch is by design. I don’t like how it looks when you switch colors in garter stitch. I think the change in landscape will add a nice bit of visual interest to the finished garment (that is my fancy way of saying it will keep it from looking like she is wearing an afghan).
I hope to be on the third color by next Monday. I might be even further than that, as I am having so much fun working on this I can’t bring myself to pick up my socks.
I actually swatched this week! I’m happy that I made some progress. I did two swatches. One in size 11 and one in size 15. I then sent them to Mary-Claire to get her opinion.
She said she couldn’t tell a difference, so I went with what I wanted to do and picked swatch B (size 15). After that I thought I should block them to see how they turn out. 15 remained the winner.
The next thing I need to do is a bit of math to determine how many stitches to cast on and how long each stripe needs to be. I will probably get that done this week. But maybe not. Summer is hard to resist.