On Friday I was knitting away on my projects when a skein of yarn called to me. It was a skein of Poems Silk (75% wool 25% silk) that was sent to me in a fiber exchange. It is not yarn I would normally pick. I don’t knit much with silk, and the colors are not my style. I was compelled to cast on a hat.
I blame Alissa. Her post on Friday about her WIPs was too inspirational. I asked her about having so many WIPs and she explained it so well I thought I should add another project to my knitting basket (it’s not really a basket, BTW, it is more of a pile of project bags).
I decided on the Bankhead pattern. I cast on 90 stitches and got to work. From the beginning I didn’t like the yarn, but I did like seeing how the colors progressed. I knit until I was almost out of yarn. I ended up with a hat that fits the kids. They need another hat, especially Elliot, who is hat obsessed.
I don’t like the yarn, but I loved the pattern. I’ll be making this hat again, next time with a solid wool yarn. Maybe even a farm yarn…something that screams sheep.
I was hoping to have a project to work on mindlessly for a week or two, but once I started this hat I just wanted to be done with it. I’m now only 170 g in the hole for my yarn diet.
It’s amazing how much knitting a person can get done when they are watching the Hawkeye game.The elf hats were nice and quick, and now I’m back to knitting with natural fibers. I’m about to cast on a hat because I lost my Gretel Tam again. I am going to start a Sitka Spruce hat from Tin Can Knits as soon as I sit down to knit again. Hopefully I don’t lose or felt this hat.
The giraffe hat is done. I hope to have the elf hats done by next week so I can get back to knitting with natural fibers. Audrey is delighted with her giraffe hat, and they are both talking about how they can wear their elf hats after Thanksgiving.
I accidentally felted one of my favorite hats. It must have been under of my sweatshirt when I picked it up and put it in the laundry. I didn’t notice it until I was folding the laundry. It still fits, it just looks weird. It is not the cool, slouchy hat it once was.
I finished the Little Boxes hats for Audrey and Elliot yesterday. They both love having a hat that matches Daddy’s.
I didn’t adapt the pattern much. I did not adjust the number of cast on stitches. The hat is stretch enough it works in the adult size, and this way they will be able to wear them for several years. I reduced the number of pattern repeats by 1/3.
I hope that there isn’t much need for warm wool hats for another month, but it is the end of October and this is Iowa, so we will probably need them before too long.
I hope you are enjoying your Sunday. I’m now off to watch football and drink tea and knit obsessively.