I have to be honest: I think it would be really cool if I could knit a pair of socks a week and share them with you every Monday, only because I like saying Sock It To Me.
I finished my Rainbow Dashing socks. I love how they turned out. Yarn Geek Fibers is wonderful, and I highly recommend you check her out. She goes to a lot of fiber festivals around the Mid-West, so if you are regionally local you might be able to find her in person. Her skeins are 110 g instead of 100 g, which I really like because I like tall socks. I also like bonus socks, and in this case I have enough leftover to make Audrey a pair of Rose City Rollers.
I hope all of your projects are making progress. I also hope you will find a way to use the phrase “sock it to me” in conversation sometime this week. I also hope I’m not the only one who used to watch Laugh In on Nick at Night.
After I finished my project bags I was ready to tackle a bigger sewing project. I bought some seersucker for another Fen Dress soon after I made the first one, and I decided it was time to put it to use.
I like the dress, but I don’t like that I have to wear a slip with it. I don’t own a slip. Well, that’s not true. I didn’t own a slip until I MacGyvered one this afternoon. I had an old layering tank top and a quarter yard of knit fabric. I did some serger magic and created a slip. The slip is fine (even though it looks a bit like a dress a Kardashian would wear), but I think it will be too warm for seersucker. I am now going to look for a slip pattern (if you have a suggestion, please send it my way)
I have the fabric for a t shirt and a pair of pants in my stash. I’m hoping to finish another sewing project next week, but that will involve taping a pattern together so it might not happen.
I haven’t spent much time knitting this week, but I do have a bit of progress to show.
My socks continue to plug along. I should finish the gusset tomorrow (I’ll have a half hour of swim lesson knitting time to focus on the sock). If I put my mind to it I should be able to finish these by next Wednesday. The weather is beautiful here, so if I remember to throw my knitting in the stroller I will probably get some park knitting done this week.
I’ve been working on my Northeasterly a fair amount this week. I wanted to get the first stripe to 60 inches (I plan to make this a sixty inch square blanket) because I wanted to have an easy visual to check the size. I really like how this blanket it turning out. I’ll probably need to take a break from it before too long so I can knit something with worsted weight yarn to create some scraps. I love how cozy this blanket is, it will be perfect to snuggle under and watch movies in winter (whenever I finish it).
I think I might cast on a fun project to take my mind off of the shawl kerfuffle. We shall see.
I decided to take a break from knitting because of the shawl that shall not be named. I worked up two medium size Christmas themed project bags. I’m going to keep one and give one to a friend who knits a lot of presents for Christmas.
This project gave me fits. I could not get my tension right. My friend even came over to help. I tried 10 different tensions on my machine and kept ending up with thread barf on the bottom of my work.
After days of fighting tension she suggested I try a different thread. It was instantly better. I think it is the sewing equivalent of the help desk telling you to turn it off and turn it back on again. I won’t be trying to work with cotton thread again any time soon.
In the end I have two project bags that are OK to look at from a distance.
Now that I have my tension issues figured out I’m ready to get back to sewing. I cut out a new dress and hope to have it done in time to wear to the BINGO party I’m going to on Saturday afternoon (there will be boozy punch, a cheese ball, and prizes….I can’t wait).
I hope you are having better luck with your crafts than I am this week.
I was working on my shawl this morning and was just about to start the second section when I noticed I was off by a stitch. One stitch I can fudge, in a row of 167 stitches no one will notice an extra stitch. Then I counted the stitches on each side of the center. Instead of having 83 stitches on each side I had 81 on one side and 86 on the other. I then looked at the shawl to see where I made my mistake. I couldn’t find the exact spot, but I did notice that my last section of stockinette is longer than the other sections. Four whole rows longer.
I can ignore having one extra stitch. I can even ignore having the wrong number of stitches on each side – I know where the pattern goes and I know it will look fine. I just don’t know if I can live with one section slightly longer than the other section.
Is it worth tearing out a significant portion of my work for something no one else will likely notice? I’m working from two different skeins, alternating every other row, so tearing that out will be a huge pain, especially because I am pulling from the center of the cake instead of the outside.
I don’t want to frog it back. I’m not sure I’ll be happy if I don’t frog it. I fear the shawl is going to go back into hibernation. You will see it again this fall when I get the courage to look at it again. Unless, of course, you convince me that it will look even better if I keep it the way that it is.
My socks are really moving along now. I can’t say enough about Yarn Geek Fibers. She has beautiful yarn.The shawl is slowly moving along. You can’t really tell, because it is the type of project where it just looks like a mess of yarn until it is blocked. My Northeasterly blanket is moving along incredibly slowly, and it doesn’t look like I’ve made any progress so I am not posting a picture.