Karen, over at NothingButKnit has a sock quiz up over on her blog. I always love reading the responses to her quiz, and I am sharing my answers here.
- Do you knit/crochet socks?
- If yes, how long have you been making them? If no, why not?
- What is your preferred method? Top down, toe up? Which needles? Do you have a preferred heel type?
- Have you gifted socks? Were they worn, loved and appreciated?
- Could you make nothing but socks for the rest of your life and be happy?
- One of the most addictive things about sock knitting is the amazing selection of fingering weight yarn that is available. What is your favorite yarn for socks? Do you prefer solid or multicolor yarn? Do you have a fiber preference?
I knit socks. I almost always have a pair of socks on the needles. I keep meaning to cast on a pair just to keep in the car, for all of the times that I’m unexpectedly in a situation where I can knit.
I’ve been making them for a decade. I started my first pair on March 21, 2010.
My preferred method is top town. I magic loop on a size 1 or 1.5. I like a heel flap and gusset. I’ve done toe up, but I don’t like the increases. I’ve tried two at a time, but I got flustered. I can use DPNs, but I drop them a lot, so I like magic loop.
I have gifted socks. They have been worn enthusiastically. I tend to make socks for the same people over and over again.
I would probably miss making sweaters and hats, but I think for the most part I would be happy just knitting socks.
I am happy knitting socks with most yarn. I like superwash yarn with nylon. I like 100% wool socks, I find if the wool is rustic they don’t wear out that quickly. I like non-superwash socks. I have a pair of wool/mohair socks that I adore. I like solids. I like stripes. I like bold colors. I like it all. I also have it all, as most of my stash is sock yarn.
Do you knit socks? I would love to know your answers to these questions too.