How is it already Wednesday? Having a toddler that refuses to nap takes away from my knitting time, but I have managed to do a few things this week. I have done some work on the left panel of my cardigan, and completed about one repeat of the pattern on my sock. For the most part I’ve been focusing on dishcloths this week.
For a few months now I’ve been thinking about tithing my knitting. If I spent 10% of my knitting time working on projects for charity I could make a big difference. That leaves 90% of my time to make things that I want to make for fun. I wasn’t how to get started on tithing, and then I received an e-mail from a Crafternoon friend that gave me the answer. She suggested that as a group we make dishcloths for every resident at the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus.
The Supportive Housing Campus provides affordable efficiency apartments for over 140 people transitioning out of homelessness. As the residents move in they are given a basket of items to make their apartment a home. Every home needs a dishcloth, and a handmade one will hopefully let the residents know that someone cares about them and believes in their success.
There are a lot of dishcloths to make, and I have committed to making 5 a week until every resident has one. Luckily my friends are also knitting for the cause, so it is daunting task, but doable. Hopefully by summer we will be done.
This week I’m going to continue to knit dishcloths. I’m also going to work on my socks here and there. I’m hoping all of the dishcloth knitting will inspire me to pick a new project that I’m actually excited to knit.
If you want to help us knit for this cause let me know. We will happily take help to make this happen.
7 thoughts on “WIP Wednesday: Dishcloths, Dishcloths, Dishcloths”
That is such a great idea! Any non-knitting needs?
I will check and let you know. It would be good crochet practice to make dishcloths.
Wow, thank you so much for your support, what a wonderful group of crafters you are! Feel free to post updates to our Facebook Page 🙂 >> https://www.facebook.com/YMCASHC/posts/1260667764023840
[…] WIP Wednesday: Dishcloths, Dishcloths, Dishcloths […]
[…] for socks and I picked up some dishcloth cotton (I’m always running out now that I’m knitting for the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus). Audrey convinced me to buy her a Zebra hat kit, which […]
[…] I will stick to making 5 a week instead of knitting more because I worry we will never finish the project. As of our meeting last Sunday we had knit 89 of 140 dishcloths. We’re making good progress. […]
[…] friend Sarah, who organized the dishcloth project, has a new project in mind. The Supportive Housing Campus is a very industrial building. The modern […]